Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium is one of the coolest astronomy gadgets you can buy! The Sky Scout is a joint effort by Celestron and Yamcon. Celestron Sky Scout is a star finder that's useful for locating or identifying any celestial object including stars, constellations, planets, comets, asteroids, artificial satellites, and deep sky objects. About the size of a camcorder and weighing less than 16 ounces, the Celestron SkyScout Star Locator utilizes a user-friendly "point and shoot" GPS technology that enables stargazers to instantly identify and / or locate over 50,000 celestial objects in the sky with the press of a button, and listen to commentary on the object and its history.
The Celestron Sky-Scout also has a "locate" feature that allows users to select an object they wish to view (i.e. Mars or specific stars). Using illuminated arrows in the viewfinder, the Celestron Sky Scout will point the user to the correct object. The device knows where you are on Earth, the precise angle at which you are holding it, and exactly what celestial object is in its direct path at the time and day of the year you are using it. It also works in reverse, helping you locate an object using directional arrows inside its viewer. A multi-media planetarium-like experience then tells you all about the objects you're looking at. Celestron SkyScout is portable, rugged and compact, and requires no set-up or calibration whatsoever. SkyScout Personal Planetarium was declared the "Official Product" of International Year of Astronomy 2009 by the IYA organization!
The Celestron Sky Scout utilizes sensors for 3-axis magnetic field and 3-axis gravitational field detection, with a processor and an electronic database to perform the required calculations, and it features standard USB interface to be connected to any personal computer or any USB-compatible device! The Celestron SkyScout database may be updated through access to the Internet. Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium comes with a USB cable that allows you to connect it to your computer and download new firmware upgrades and updates to the star database. Celestron SkyScout Hand-Held Planetarium also includes a pair of earbud-style headphones that allow you to enjoy an interactive audio presentations that describe what you are observing. Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium works on two AA batteries (not included) that are good for about 10 continuous hours.
Additional information about the Celestron Sky Scout:
Features of Celestron Sky Scout Personal Planetarium:
- Identifies celestial objects with the click of a button
- Locates over 50,000 stars, planets and constellations from built-in celestial database and provides scientific information for each object
- Provides comprehensive text and audio descriptions providing history, mythology and other entertaining information for the most popular objects
- Tonight's Highlights: A customized list of the 20 best objects to view for your exact date, time and location anywhere in the world
- Constellation Lessons: if the star you identify or locate is part of a constellation or an asterism like the Big Dipper, you can actually take a guided tour through all the stars in that constellation and even see an onscreen map of the constellation
- Built-in Field Guide Includes:
- Introduction to astronomy: a six part audio lesson on the origin and history of astronomy
- Glossary of Terms: text defining popular astronomy terms including planets, comets, galaxies and more
- Great Astronomers: text bios on some of the world's greatest astronomers including Galileo, Einstein and Copernicus
- Man Made Space Objects: text description of some of the coolest objects man has sent into space including the International Space Station, the Hubble SpaceTelescope and the Space Shuttle
- Comet Guide: text descriptions about history's most famous comets including Halley's Comet and Comet Hale-Bop
- SD card slot: for optional “SkyScout Expansion Cards” audio presentations that provide hours of entertainment on a variety of topics
- USB port: allows database to be updated with new objects as they are discovered, comets, etc.
- Simple enough for all ages: just turn it on and it's ready to use
- Built-in Help Menu: includes a quick start instruction guide for using the SkyScout
- Bring it anywhere: compact and light design makes it easy to carry and durable construction makes it safe for rugged environments
- Backed by Celestron's 2-year warranty