2,541 Brands 452 Categories All Departments

barska scopes any good?

Discuss Leupold, Bushnell, Swarovski, Weaver & more. Need advice on a scope for your firearm? We can help!

barska scopes any good?

Postby dirtyd on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:19 pm

Image

Current Riflescope Offers
-Admin Update-

getting h&r ultra varmit 207ruger. are the barska swat scopes any good or are they like buying bsa or tasco.
dirtyd
 

Postby ranburr on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:28 pm

Worse than BSA because in addition to the crappy optics they have a horrible odor. Not joking, they really do stink, literally and figuratively.

ranburr
ranburr
 

Postby opticsplanet.com on Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Hi

Barska are inexpensive scopes made in China. In the past, they have made low end scopes for other companies, including some Tasco models and some Bushnell models. In this quality range, price is a good indicator of what you are getting - same features, same price, same quality, same moderate-high return rate overall. Brand is irrelevant.

The Barska SWAT is a poor investment for serious tactical work or for anyone who does a lot of shooting. As always, buy according to your needs and keep your expectations in line with the price.
----------------------
Your personal optics expert
Joanie (Jne) K
http://www.OpticsPlanet.com
Phone: (888) 263-0356
Fax: (847) 574-6820
opticsplanet.com
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4044
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Prospect Heighs, IL

Barska

Postby Shot-out on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:45 pm

Ya know,

it all in how you use it. even an elcheapo used by someone who knows what they are doing will have just as a devastating effect as the highest dollor scope. remember...it has more to do w/ ability, your rifle,....followed byyour scope. anyone ever hear of this one?..."adapt and overcome!" Brasko scopes will hit dead on if you have good sense.
Shot-out
 

I use bullets instead

Postby MrGman on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:14 pm

I have never "devastated" any animals with the scope, kind of ruins the scope, I prefer to actually hit them with those little high speed flying bullets instead. Scopes simply help "YOU" the shooter to see and aim well if it and you have both done your jobs, then you will put bullets on target with your thunderstick and bring home the meat. The Barska will simply help you a whole lot less than other scopes. It won't be as clear, it won't help you see later in the day towards evening, It won't help with long shots. Yeah on a bright sunny day within a reasonable range it might help you take a shot and you will be devastating to the game animal of choice. But when you really need it, will it be there for you? Not worth betting on.
MrGman
 

I smell something stinky

Postby MrGman on Sat May 17, 2008 6:02 pm

The post above this by some website and not a user name smells very fishy to me. Lists features out of a marketing brochure and not actual first person testimonial on how it works. I have seen Barska's up close and personal at the shooting range and at gun shows, I would not say that they compare in anyway to the performance of a Leupold.

The person's english is off just enough to make me suspect its not his first language and he spelled Leupold wrong. So I am really suspicious that he is just a hack advertising for Barska (and his own website), especially when he saw the need to hype up the value of the scope to a post that is 2 years old. This is just a chance to advertise. Whereas I am just trying to be me and not support cr@%%y scopes and any type of businesses that hype them up and say they are just as good as Leupold (especially for the price), yeah right.

Since this guy is using his website address as his username and thereby advertising his sight, can we have his post removed just for general principals????? It is an actual website, I checked.
MrGman
 

Re: barska scopes any good?

Postby BARF-SKA scopes! on Mon May 19, 2008 1:28 pm

dirtyd wrote:getting h&r ultra varmit 207ruger. are the barska swat scopes any good or are they like buying bsa or tasco.
...................DirtyD.............My friend! When it comes to optics, you get what you are willing to pay for! You will have the pro-Barska people such as on this thread, who always rave about how well their scopes have sufficed. YEAH! FOR THEM!....... Now! I am not going to say that they don`t know what they are talking about, but I do know this...... Anytime anyone pays a reduced price for their optics, they will increase their odds for disappointment in one of, OR the other various categories; glass quality, construction, durability, quality in waterproofing, fogproofing and so on!......... The pro Barska, BSA people etc. I`M SURE, can give story after story, account after account, as to how well their scopes have performed...........Here`s the real truth! There are just some people out there who have lower standards in the quality dept., who are satisfied, who simply aren`t willing to pay more, who think that their cheapie scopes can do anything in the fields, under any weather conditions, just as well as the more expensive higher quality scopes can do!!...............If you truly believe that sir, then you go right ahead and get a BarF-ska; mount that scope on your rig, go out in any weather condition, hunt whatever and ENJOY!!!!...........Here`s something that you may also want to think about!! You will never see any experienced VX1, VX2, VX3, any 3200, any 4200, any Nikon Buckmaster, any Nikon Monarch, any Burris, any Kahles, any Swaro owners and such, converting over to ANY BARSKA!! IF SO, they`re just plain stupid!....However, there will always be plenty who will make the conversion from a Barf-ska to a much better scope!!............A rifle with a cheaper scope may, can, will and does compromise success on the hunts, especially in very foul weather!! They simply don`t have the glass quality to offer better than average as insurance for a successful hunt...............Shot-out`s remarks are dubious at best. But if you wish to believe him, THEN you go right ahead with a new BARF-SKA!!!!!
BARF-SKA scopes!
 

Re: barska scopes any good?

Postby Big Squeeze on Mon May 19, 2008 1:30 pm

BARF-SKA scopes! wrote:
dirtyd wrote:getting h&r ultra varmit 207ruger. are the barska swat scopes any good or are they like buying bsa or tasco.
...................DirtyD.............My friend! When it comes to optics, you get what you are willing to pay for! You will have the pro-Barska people such as on this thread, who always rave about how well their scopes have sufficed. YEAH! FOR THEM!....... Now! I am not going to say that they don`t know what they are talking about, but I do know this...... Anytime anyone pays a reduced price for their optics, they will increase their odds for disappointment in one of, OR the other various categories; glass quality, construction, durability, quality in waterproofing, fogproofing and so on!......... The pro Barska, BSA people etc. I`M SURE, can give story after story, account after account, as to how well their scopes have performed...........Here`s the real truth! There are just some people out there who have lower standards in the quality dept., who are satisfied, who simply aren`t willing to pay more, who think that their cheapie scopes can do anything in the fields, under any weather conditions, just as well as the more expensive higher quality scopes can do!!...............If you truly believe that sir, then you go right ahead and get a BarF-ska; mount that scope on your rig, go out in any weather condition, hunt whatever and ENJOY!!!!...........Here`s something that you may also want to think about!! You will never see any experienced VX1, VX2, VX3, any 3200, any 4200, any Nikon Buckmaster, any Nikon Monarch, any Burris, any Kahles, any Swaro owners and such, converting over to ANY BARSKA!! IF SO, they`re just plain stupid!....However, there will always be plenty who will make the conversion from a Barf-ska to a much better scope!!............A rifle with a cheaper scope may, can, will and does compromise success on the hunts, especially in very foul weather!! They simply don`t have the glass quality to offer better than average as insurance for a successful hunt...............Shot-out`s remarks are dubious at best. But if you wish to believe him, THEN you go right ahead with a new BARF-SKA!!!!!
.................The above post was from......Big Squeeze!
Big Squeeze
 

Big Squeeze where have you been?

Postby MrGman on Mon May 19, 2008 11:00 pm

Squeeze your answering to an original poster that is 2 years old. I was questioning the guy who said Barska was as good as Leupold just recently.


This guy at the link below is the one that needs your help.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/msgboard/about11713.html
MrGman
 

...

Postby JimFromTN on Tue May 20, 2008 8:12 am

It all comes down to application if you really think about it. I mean, there are those guys out there that just have to have the best of the best. They will go out and buy a Swaro or a Zeiss for a rifle they will take out to the range a couple of times a year. Then there are the guys who are only going to go deer hunting a couple of times a year and will never get anything which is probably for the best because they would not know what to do with the meat if they did. They don't know how to cook it and if they did their family would not eat it. For those guys, I say go buy a nice $30 3-9x40 BSA. If you deer hunt every other weekend during gun season and you don't have alot of money, you may want to invest a little more in something like a Bushnell Legend. If you are a little more fanatic and go every weekend, bump it up to a $200-$250 nikon buckmaster or something else in that price range. If you are the fanatic that may actually do something other than just deer hunting in the next county like maybe you might want to go down to Texas and pig hunt, bump the price up another $100 - $150. If you day dream about going out west and hunting elk and you are actually putting money aside to do it, invest about $500-$600 in a scope. If you are putting you money away for an african safari or a red stag hunt in hungary or Argintina, go Swaro or a comprably priced brand. The point being that the more money that you spend on your hunt, the bigger the let down its going to be when you have equipment failure.
JimFromTN
 

Re: Big Squeeze where have you been?

Postby Big Squeeze on Tue May 20, 2008 10:26 am

MrGman wrote:Squeeze your answering to an original poster that is 2 years old. I was questioning the guy who said Barska was as good as Leupold just recently.


This guy at the link below is the one that needs your help.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/msgboard/about11713.html
............I really need to pay more attention to these damn posting dates!!....... :roll:
Big Squeeze
 

Barska

Postby bassmaster on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:27 pm

I was told the other day that Barska also made scope for Nikon??? Is there any truth to this? I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3 X 9 X 50 and it is awesome..... Looking for something to go on a Sako 243 that I just want to shoot every now and then. Can anyone expand on this?

Thanks
bassmaster
 

Barska

Postby bassmaster on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:29 pm

I was told the other day that Barska also made scope for Nikon??? Is there any truth to this? I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3 X 9 X 50 and it is awesome..... Looking for something to go on a Sako 243 that I just want to shoot every now and then. Can anyone expand on this?

Thanks
bassmaster
 

Postby Steven_L on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:23 pm

Poop. Nikon and Barska are not related in any way.
Aim Hard!

Steve at OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.net

Phone: (800) 504-5897
Fax: (847) 919-3003
Steven_L
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:35 am

Nikon & Barska

Postby bassmaster on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks for the response, didn't think so myself...
bassmaster
 

Re: barska scopes any good?

Postby Baah on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 am

I just got my 3-9x42 AR-15 scope (called so b/c of it's short length) Monday, shot it on Tuesday, and am arranging it's return today (Wednesday). I've never been one to drop a few $K on a Swarovski or Zeiss, but I do like my Burris scopes...I get what I can reasonably afford. Well now due to Nobama, I can't afford much, so I thought I'd try this inexpensive Barska. I will now be going back to my peep-sight. The glass is garbage in this thing. When I was zeroing it at 100, the image was all fuzzy and unable to be focused and there were terrible parallax issues. It has a lighted crosshair feature that essentially shines a red light up onto the crosshair. If it is dark enough to need assistance seeing your crosshairs, the lowest setting is so bright that all you can see is the bright red crosshair...not what you're shooting at. Forget the highest setting...you won't see anything but a red + for at least five minutes after looking at it. Until now, I always saved up to get what I really wanted, no compromises. I think I'll go back to my old ways.
Baah
 

Re: barska scopes any good?

Postby MrGman on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:57 pm

Baah wrote:I just got my 3-9x42 AR-15 scope (called so b/c of it's short length) Monday, shot it on Tuesday, and am arranging it's return today (Wednesday). I've never been one to drop a few $K on a Swarovski or Zeiss, but I do like my Burris scopes...I get what I can reasonably afford. Well now due to Nobama, I can't afford much, so I thought I'd try this inexpensive Barska. I will now be going back to my peep-sight. The glass is garbage in this thing. When I was zeroing it at 100, the image was all fuzzy and unable to be focused and there were terrible parallax issues. It has a lighted crosshair feature that essentially shines a red light up onto the crosshair. If it is dark enough to need assistance seeing your crosshairs, the lowest setting is so bright that all you can see is the bright red crosshair...not what you're shooting at. Forget the highest setting...you won't see anything but a red + for at least five minutes after looking at it. Until now, I always saved up to get what I really wanted, no compromises. I think I'll go back to my old ways.


If you wash your hands really good and promise to never touch another BARFAlot again we will forgive you. :D You were warned. I am sure you can find better used scopes cheap at a gun show to have something.
MrGman
 

Re: barska scopes any good?

Postby mitchgmace on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:59 pm

i have always had leupold scopes on all my rifles but 1. I was given a Tasco 6x18 years ago. I put it on my ruger #1v in 220swift years ago also. I have nothing bad to say about that scope. shot many of prairie dog, coyote, jacks and more. never a problem with it. I beat it around in my jeep and trucks for years. well i just bumped it to hard one to many times and broke it.going to try a barska. If it sucks i will let youall know and go back to a leupold!
mitchgmace
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: colorado-west slope

Re: barska scopes any good?

Postby jjs102 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:09 pm

Actually i have a Barska and so far it works just like any other cheap scope. Wasn't looking for Leopold or Zeiss quality. A good scope however, was advertised in the Alburquerque paper the other day. Probabaly what lawyers use. It was (actually printed out) a "Loop Holed" scope.
JJS
jjs102
 

Re: barska scopes any good?

Postby MrGman on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:35 pm

"A good scope however, was advertised in the Alburquerque paper the other day. Probabaly what lawyers use. It was (actually printed out) a "Loop Holed" scope.
JJS
Actually i have a Barska and so far it works just like any other cheap scope. Wasn't looking for Leopold or Zeiss quality. A good scope however, was advertised in the Alburquerque paper the other day. Probabaly what lawyers use. It was (actually printed out) a "Loop Holed" scope.
JJS
"

Man I would love to see what the warranty paperwork looks like on a "Loop Holed" Scope. Is it 413 pages long??? Does it basically say on the last page that the warranty expires 30 days before delivery? As to the BARFSKA, that's just total disrespect to the cheapest of bullets. My cheapest just for fun scope is a Bushnell Banner and it is night and day different/better to the BARFSKA's I have personally seen and tinkered with at the range.
MrGman